Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dead Man Jaywalking

Walking the streets of Dubai is not for the hesitant or indecisive. As long as you understand that you have no rights unless you are hit and injured or killed you will be fine. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the large amount of construction makes for very few safe pedestrian walking areas, and let’s face it, the drivers here are more worried about being outmaneuvered by their racing buddies than anyone foolish enough to be caught walking or running for their lives in the street. Day dreamers and those fixated on their iPod are particularly vulnerable and in real peril.

There is a bright side to pedestrian rights here and it has the traditional moniker of Blood Money. If you cause someone’s death and it is in any way due to your fault or negligence you must pay the family of the deceased Dh200,000 That is dirham at 3.6725 to a US $ or $54,795 for a man and Dh100,000 for a woman. Yes it is true that women get very little public respect here, but I am sure it is true here as in any other place in the world, that at home and with husband and children, Women Rule.

There is one other interesting phenomenon observed here, as people walk about in the blazing sun and temperatures that can reach 115⁰, He who gets to the shade first keeps it. You will see people lined up in the shadow of lamp post, building or whatever offers some iota of relief from the sun. You find yourself angling for every bit of shade offered and the shortest pathway between two points. I have yet to find that idyllic strolling spot yet, but I am sure that I will, and look forward to telling you all about it.

No comments: